Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Life Lessons On The Road With Grandma

It's been a little while since my last post.  I took a hiatus while on vacation with my family.  And just recently, I returned from a 2 day road trip with my 86 year old grandmother.  Over the course of the past few weeks, I've filed away a few topics I'd like to write about this month.  God always inspires prayer while I travel.

Today's topic was inspired by the road trip I took with my grandma.

My grandmother was born in 1928.  She has 86 years to her name.  It was a tremendous privilege to spend three days alone with her.  But I'll be honest, there were moments I struggled.  I struggled to slow down to her pace because I like to go-go-go.  I struggled to understand and adhere to her way of doing things because I think I know best.  And I struggled to simply enjoy and embrace our time together because I am always looking to what's next.

But God threw me a bone...in the form of a severe sore throat.  It might sound strange to you that I'm crediting my sickness as God's help, but God knew just what needed to be done to help me get the most out of my time with such a remarkable woman.
  
Instead of being able to use the running clothes I had packed, I sat with my grandma the night before we left in her mobile home and played cards with 2 of her friends.  Man, I wish I could have recorded my three hours with them.  It was a riot!  And just awesome.

Instead of being able to voice my opinions and talk about myself, my weak vocal cords (and barely there voice) helped me to submit to her needs and opinions AND forced me to shut-up and simply listen to her.  Had I been at full strength in the communication department I would have missed dozens of stories from my grandmother's life.  Stories that imparted wisdom and hope into my own life.

And instead of looking ahead to what was next in life and planning my to-do's, my tired self slowed down and took things one step at a time; or as in our case, one mile at a time.  And it was in those still, precious moments that I saw greatness in the woman sitting next to me.  I forgot about my own life and took the opportunity to learn from hers. 

Thus, I can do nothing but rejoice and thank God for my sore throat.  I wish I could always trust His hand at work in those life speed bumps.

But the truth is that...

Sometimes I forget that God knows what I need before I even ask Him (Matthew 6:8).

Sometimes I take for granted that He knows my heart and my thoughts & will sift and refine all their offensive ways & will lead me in the way everlasting, keeping me true (Psalm 139:23-24).

And sometimes I fail to stand in awe of how He cares for me and doesn't let me miss His good and perfect purposes (Romans 8:28).

Our children will have speed bumps along the way, or perhaps they will have a landslide of large rocks and boulders.  Regardless, my prayer is that they will let God fulfill His good and perfect purposes in and through whatever road blocks they face.  Because as I've learned over and over again, letting Him drive (and be in control) always gets me to a better place.

Let's pray!

Jesus,  You know what my children need before they ask You (and even if they never do).  You know their hearts and their thoughts, thus You know how to sift and refine them in ways that lead them to Your everlasting peace & hope.  And You care for them so much that You fulfill every good purpose for their life.  And so I pray that you would help both me and them to trust You in the driver's seat of their life.  I pray they would let You use every speed bump in their life to lead them to those better places they could never find on their own. 


1 comment:

  1. Love this. And so glad you got this quality time with your grandma!

    ReplyDelete