Tuesday, July 8, 2014

What Do I Pray When My Kid's In A Funk?


My definition of a kid's funk:
Moody
Whiny
Ornery
Easily Angered
Dramatic
Indifferent and Unresponsive to Discipline
Stubborn
and.
Challenging.

Have you seen this type of funk in your own kid?

All my kids have had these funks.  Some the result of sickness, lack of sleep, developmental changes, difficult circumstances, or a rebellious heart. 

Certain funks have only lasted a day, others have gone on for weeks. 

Regardless of the cause or longevity, they are challenging to parent through. 

As I seek to understand the "why" and help my children, I can become frustrated and frazzled.  There have been quite a few funks that have brought me to my knees with tears of desperation.  And I can recall a few that have even sent me spiraling into my own personal funk.

Our little Cole is currently in one of these funks.  And it's been going on for a few weeks.  I keep waiting for that breakthrough, that ray of sunshine to pierce through the stormy cloud.  Thus far, it hasn't come. 

His funk isn't constant, rather it comes in waves throughout the day.  As a whole, we've had a few more challenges with Cole.  He is a strong willed and stubborn little guy.  Yet, he is also a fun-loving, affectionate, and sweet boy.  When stuck in a funk, though, those latter attributes present themselves less and less.

To be completely honest, I'm ready to tag myself out and let someone else weather this storm with him.  Honestly, I hate that I feel this way.  It's just that I've become weary of disciplining, short on patience, and lacking in wisdom.  I feel very defeated.  I probably sound a bit dramatic, but that's what these funks produce...dramatic emotions that desperately need an abundance of God's grace and a good healthy dose of His truth.

While I may feel defeated, I am determined to not allow the Enemy to defeat me.  As I've been committed to praying for my kids over the past year and a half, I've learned that parenting can be an intense spiritual battle.  A battle that requires great faith and steadfast reliance on the Spirit.   The Enemy wants me to tag out with Cole.  He wants me to focus on the failures.  He wants me to dwell on the negative.  He wants me to get frustrated and frazzled.  Like a roaring lion, He is looking to devour me. 

So today I chose to fight the Enemy the same way I've been fighting him over the past year and a half, I will pray God's Word over myself and over my little toe-head that I love so much.

I'm using Psalm 107:28-31 & Job 33:28 to cry out to the Lord...

"Lord, I cry out to You in my trouble.
Will you bring me out of my distress?
Will you still this storm to a whisper?
Will you hush the waves?
For I will be glad when it grows calm,
because You will guide me to a safe harbor
where I will give You thanks for Your unfailing love
and wonderful deeds.
So Lord, redeem my life from going down to the pit,
may I live to enjoy the light."

And you better believe I am praying the exact same words for Cole...and I invite you to pray them over any child of yours who has a funk of their own.

"Lord, I cry out to You regarding Cole's trouble...this stormy, dark funk.
Will you bring him out of his distress?
Will you still his storm to a whisper?
Will you hush his waves?
And will you fill him with gladness when he grows calm?
Will you guide him to safe harbor?
And may he give you thanks for Your unfailing love for him
and for your wonderful deeds toward him!
Lord, redeem his life from going down to the pit.
May he live to enjoy the light."

I love the imagery of a storm that needs calmed or a dark pit that needs light.

As we've done for a year and a half, and as we will continue to do, let's pray the above prayers full of God's Word over our kids...especially as they (and we) battle those stormy, dark funks.

1 comment: