Tuesday, August 12, 2014

School's a Battleground

As the start of a new school year draws near, I worry a little more.  There are so many "unknowns" where my mom-control cannot reach.   

Will they be safe?
Will their teacher be a good fit?
Will they be challenged appropriately?
Will they fit in?
Will they make good friends?
Will they be a good friend?
Will they treat others with love and respect?
Will they seek God's heart wherever they are and in whatever they are doing?

If you are like me, these questions and all their unknown answers draw me to my knees.  I've come to Jesus with these questions over the course of the last few weeks, beseeching Him to be the REFUGE and STRENGTH of my children as they venture back to school.

I've been meditating on the following Scriptures:

Psalm 9:9  "The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.  Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you."

Psalm 461-2a  "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear..."

Scripture is clear.  God is the place to which we flee in times of danger and oppression.  He is our lofty wall, our high tower, our fort, our fortress, our source of strength when we are weak and defenseless. 

As strange as this sounds, I believe school can be an intense battleground.  With all the social, academic, physical, emotional, and spiritual pressures they will face every day our kids need a place of refuge to flee to and a source of strength to trust in. 

Grayden, our oldest, is starting first grade at a new school this year.  He is entering an entire new battleground.  There are a whole lot of "unknowns" for him.  So my heart's cry is that when the going gets tough, when he has trouble, when he is weak, and when he needs a safe place that he will find it from The One who has never forsaken those who seek Him, The One whose name he can put his trust in, The One who is his refuge and strength...JESUS!!

Friends, no matter what grade your children are entering this year there are unknowns for them.  They are entering their own battlegrounds.  They will fight social, academic, physical, emotional, and spiritual battles every day of this school year.  But thanks be to God...He is their refuge and strength for each and every battle.  Will you join me today and let's pray for our kids as they begin a new school year?

Jesus,
I ask that You would continue to draw my children's hearts to You.  May they seek You and trust You as they enter a new school year.  When they are battling all those social, academic, emotional, and spiritual pressures, may You be their place of refuge to flee to and their source of strength to draw from.  As You have spoken in Scripture, I find peace in knowing that You are their ever-present help in times of trouble.  Therefore, I will not fear the unknowns.  I will trust in You and place my precious children in Your hands.  I ask that You will make this school year one of great spiritual growth for them.  Will You sift and refine them, sanctifying them through and through, as they battle through each day.  Amen!  

No comments:

Post a Comment